Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Do We Need a Life's Purpose to Live a Fulfilling and Enlightened Life?

There are people that I have known, in my life, who worry about their life purpose. One long time friend beats herself up trying to figure out what her life purpose is. Each day, each moment, we as people really need to learn to make peace with ourselves. Then maybe we can be at peace with others in our lives.

I do not bang my head on a wall trying to figure out the purpose and meaning behind my life. I feel like I am here to be creative and I want to be helpful. I make my mistakes. I struggle with laziness more than I struggle with loneliness. I am enjoying the quiet time I have today. The calm before this months big move. Still my friend's wish lingers in my mind when I take the time to think of our conversations. "I need to find out what my life's purpose is?" She often says.

The thing is I do not think the human race has even figured out what our true purpose is. Are we a random fluke, some sort of entertainment for a higher power, or here for some other unknown reason for our existence, that we never really even thought of yet?

Some people would gladly tell you what they think your life purpose is or some will tell you they can help you figure it out. There are some people who do not believe we have a life purpose at all. I sometimes feel like my friend expects me to tell her what her purpose is. I am just glad to have her for a long time friend. I like her art, she is a calming friend when I feel anxiety. I am there for her when she has her own life stresses and anxiety.

I think that people often fulfill their life's purpose without even thinking about it. It just happens and we do not need to fret about it. In a way the reason for fretting about life's purpose is a reflection of a desire to heal ourselves and to improve our lives. I think that self healing starts with taking in each day and moment and really appreciating the privilege of life. Life has it's good and bad moments and days. Whether we focus ahead or look behind at the past, this moment is what is significant until the next breath. Poof and it has passed.

My purpose today was to take a break from sorting through my stuff and instead I took the time to sort through my thoughts. This moment is peaceful. So I choose to share it and say, whatever purpose there is in life; I am going to work on being good to myself and those I love. I will  quiet my mind, in order to make a point to listen to my friends and my loved ones. Maybe some day I will think of something wise to say when my friend is worried about her purpose in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment