Monday, July 15, 2013

Materialism and The Desire to Consume.

What countries do you believe to be the most materialistic? Look at the place you are living now. Are advertisements hounding you? Is there a drive in your community to accumulate things for status?

I have known a few hoarders in my life. They surround themselves with junk and garbage and they do not even realize they have a problem. I live in a poverty stricken community but they still manage to accumulate stuff. In the past 8 years of living in this area, I am shocked at how much garbage accumulated in my basement and I am still sorting through it trying to purge the junk before I move.

Most of it was old furniture that we tossed in the dumpster last week. Now what is left, is paperwork that has identity numbers on it, which needs shedding. Plus a two piles of electronic garbage. My basement turned into a dead machine and power-cord graveyard. Why does this happen? Poor people like me who have no cars have no way to haul the stuff away but I am discovering there are some places that pick up some of it; like keyboards, laptops, and computers. There are places that take old TV's. I just have to find them. What about dead printers? I think they actually cost money to get rid of.

I am a materialist. I collect art supplies, musical instruments, books, electronic gadgets, games, and nick knacks. Many of my nick knacks broke over the years and ended up in the basement graveyard.

Then there is the memorabilia. You know photos, heirlooms, and things that hold dear memories. I notice my children's generation seems less sentimental about those things. I have a spinning wheel that traveled the Oregon trail with my great great great grandmother. I asked all of my sisters and my nieces if they wanted it but no one was interested. My own children showed no interest in it, at first, but suddenly last week my daughter decided she wanted it. After she found out that I planned to send it to my mother's cousins.

I have purged many things this week but in the process I have been thinking about the earth, recycling, and the need to consume less. I need to become more aware of how much waste my household is producing every week. Have you ever sat down and thought about how much waste one family manages to produce? Well that is what is on my mind today. I wish it would be on everyone's minds. The earth is a beautiful creature. Do we want to behave like parasites the rest of our lives or do we want to groom and cherish this loving planet, that has blessed us with life? What can we do to consume less and still live a fulfilled life in comfort and beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment